My friends and I recently took a dessert class and I have to say it was informative and fun!
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 tablespoons of unsalted butter cubed
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, additional used for topping
- 1 and half cups of sugar
- 1/4 cup of light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup water
- Line an 8x8 baking pan with parchment paper and brush or spray lightly with oil and set aside
- in a small saucepan, bring heavy cream, butter and salt to a boil. Then remove from heat and set aside
- In a large saucepan on high heat, stir together sugar, corn syrup and water until sugar is dissolved. Boil without stirring until the mixture turns to a light golden caramel color. (you can gently swirl the entire saucepan occasionally to ensure even heating)
- Lower heat to a simmer and very carefully pour cream mixture into the saucepan.
- Stirring occasionally, bring mixture to 250 F or for candy making aficionados the firm ball stage
- pour mixture into baking pan and allow to cool completely, about two hours.
- 1/2 hours after pouring, sprinkle caramel with more sea salt as desired
- Remove caramel from baking pan and using a sharp, warm knife, cut the caramel into 2 inch squares